It was like nothing I would have ever expected, yet at the same time, it was exactly how I dreamed it to be. We walked into that huge room together expecting nothing and everything at once. It was silent and empty, but we were happy, quietly content with what we had in one another. We walked on a long silver balcony, staring deep into (or out of?) the glass walls that separated us from the expanse of vast nothingness and darkness that lay just beyond us.
There was nowhere really that we could go, yet the paths to a million places lay at our feet. Life spun in each and every direction. Life itself was in our fingertips at that very moment. It was just me and you and you and me, and I knew that this was where I belonged.
We stood there for hours, staring off into the silent blackness, not at all silent ourselves as our conversation drifted from God to life to love to laughter. I don't know how long we spent there, but to me, it didn't matter-- and when you took my hands and looked into my eyes, nothing else mattered at that moment.
"I love you," you said.
I know, I thought. I would never ever let you go-- I love you too much for that to happen.
Yet now, years later, I hold onto nothing but those memories. As I sit with the sun falling out of the sky before my eyes, I realize one thing; nothing here ever lasts. She's gone. Too far gone.
No comments:
Post a Comment