I've been thinking about heaven--and subsequently death-- lately. I keep finding myself in the same place, asking myself how others would describe my life. Orson Scott Card's concept of a "speaker for the dead" seems to be particularly applicable here.
"Speakers research the dead person's life and give a speech that attempts to speak for them, describing the person's life as he or she tried to live it. This speech is not given in order to persuade the audience to condemn or forgive the deceased, but rather a way to understand the person as a whole, including any flaws or misdeeds."
Would I be a selfish fool, focused only on what the things of the world has to offer, or would others see Christ first and foremost in my life? Ah, I wish so much for the latter to be true. I wish that when others look at my life they see the work of Christ in me, that I would be able to point them to Him who saved me.
If you never woke up tomorrow, what would people know your life to be? What would your "speaker" say about your life? What do you want your life to be marked by? Start now. The opportunities fly by too fast. Who knows, you might not wake up tomorrow.
This is your life. Are you who you want to be?
No comments:
Post a Comment